Safety Tips for Parents and Guardians
We are committed to providing you the highest level of service possible. We have compiled a list of tips accumulated over the years providing service to our campus community.
Helpful Tips For Your Student
Riding A Bicycle On Campus
- Bring an inexpensive bicycle
- Purchase a sturdy lock, such as a "u-lock"
- Remind your student that he or she must obey all traffic laws both on campus and in the city
- Recommend to your student that he or she wears a helmet
- Download a bike map with comprehensive cycling tips
- Please stress the importance of locking all doors
- Stress the importance of not defeating (taping the door lock open) a dorm/door lock so friends can visit at random
- Remind our students to be mindful of their neighbors when playing loud music/TV/gaming consoles
- Stress the importance of knowing your neighbors
- It is important to report all crime and suspicious activity at the time it happens. Sometimes a student might wait several hours before calling the police, which reduces our ability to effectively provide service
- Check out UC Davis Housing's Guide to Residence Hall Life - Personal Safety & Security
- Stay informed as to what is occurring around campus related to police calls. For example, you could use the CrimeReports.com website - type "UC Davis" into the "Enter Address Field" to receive up to date crime information
- Remind your student that while the campus in Davis and Sacramento is safe, crime still occurs and it is important for them to always be aware of their surroundings
- Personal security tip sheet
- We offer Active Shooter Preparedness Training here on campus.
- We offer a Safe Ride Service for students at night, so they do not have to walk alone.
Your Student's Health
- If your student is coming home for a break, please stress they rest or have a good night's sleep before driving
- Keep in contact with your student regularly; a simple phone call or text will make a difference
- UC Davis provides excellent health services for your student - visit the Student Health and Counseling Services website
- Talk to your student about attending parties. Learn more at the UC Davis Safe Party Initiative website
- When attending a party off campus, your student can obtain a ride home by contacting the Tipsy Taxi Service.