Aggie Host Security Service (AHS)
The AHS Officer Program provides security and support at UC Davis campus events. In addition, AHS personnel facilitate the UC Davis Escort Service that is free of cost to UC Davis students, faculty and staff.
Benjamin McNulty, Security Coordinator
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Aggie Host Security Officers are non-sworn, student security personnel who provide a variety of public safety services to the campus, including:
- UC Davis Escort Services, free upon request, for students and staff studying or working after hours on campus. UC Davis Student Housing is a key supporter and their attentiveness to maximizing the safety of all UCD affiliates is much appreciated.
- Special Event Security for concerts, athletic competition, theatrical performances and other large-scale campus events such as Picnic Day and the Whole Earth Festival. There is a charge for event services. (See Rates.)
- Site Surveillance at various locations on campus to deter vandalism, fire damages and/or burglary. Services are available daily and overnight if needed. There is a charge for surveillance services. (See Rates.)
Aggie Host Security Officer functionality is critical to the success of several high-profile events each year. Examples include the 2010 Gubernatorial Debate between Meg Whitman and Jerry Brown, the 2010 California Governor's Global Climate Summit, and multiple appearances by former President of the United States of America, Bill Clinton, during the 2008 and 2012 presidential campaigns.
In addition, concert entertainers LMFAO, Ke$ha, Tiesto and Drake performed on the Davis campus under full AHS purview in 2011 and 2012.
Aggie Host Security Officers are trained to enhance campus diplomacy, diffuse disruptive behavior, minimize risk through access control countermeasures, manage large crowds and to execute stringent inspection protocol when justified. They can be readily identified by their black uniforms with gold embroidery and departmental equipment.
UC Davis Escort Service--It's Free!
If you have safety concerns while moving about campus at night we encourage you to call us.
- Phone number: 530-752-1727
- Hours of Operation:
5:30 p.m. to 3:00 a.m.
7 days a week, excluding major holidays and Summer Sessions I & II
Aggie Host Security Officers, Police Dispatch and Student Housing facilitate its operation. The service is available to anyone who prefers an alternative to walking alone or in a small group at night. Those using the service are given a ride in a marked police vehicle or escorted on foot by a security officer. All drivers are trained AHS personnel who have been background checked, fingerprinted, and are in compliance with the California DMV pull system. Additionally, each employee of this program has completed a "Safe Driver Awareness" course administered by UC Davis Staff Development. The service phone number is printed on the back of all UC Davis ID cards (530-752-1727).
Becoming an Aggie Host Security Officer
Undergraduate UC Davis students in good standing are welcomed to apply. Employment is conditional upon a background check and the completion of specialized introductory and ongoing training.
If interested, hard copy applications can be picked up at the front lobby of the UC Davis Police Department. An electronic application can also be found here at the AHS Officer Application pathway. Please email the completed electronic version to AHS Officer Program Manager, Benjamin McNulty, at email@example.com. Completed hard copy applications should be submitted by-hand to the UC Davis Police Department's front service desk. Applications are accepted year-round with 2-3 hiring cycles taking place per academic year.
Security Service Rates
- UC Davis Escort Service: FREE
- Special Event Security Services:
- AHS Officer: $17.00 - $22.00/hour
- AHS Supervisor: $20.00 - $26.00/hour
- AHS Manager: $37.00 - $52.00/hour
- UCD Police Officer: $67.00 - $86.00/hour
- UCD Police Sergeant: $79.00 - $103.00/hour
For special event services, the number of security personnel will be determined by various criteria; including the size and scope of your event. UC Davis Conference and Event Services can assist with building reservations for special events as part of their event planning service. The UC Davis Police Department Security Coordinator/Manager will assist with security measures and in some cases will employ sworn law enforcement personnel should they be requested or required.